Keep Your Lamps Lit

Some would say jumping out of an airplane feels good, they like the adrenaline rush. Some would call those people adrenaline junkies because they like living on the edge.

I enjoy a good roller coaster like most of the human race, but I also enjoy them because they have straps where you feel secure and on some level know that you are held in. The risk factor is very low. 

I would not be an adrenaline junkie. I do not enjoy not knowing what's going to happen to me or my body. I do not enjoy watching the earth quickly race towards my fragile bones knowing there is nothing within my powers to stop myself from falling. 

In the same way I do not enjoy having to take money away from something that it was meant for. I have designated savings accounts for particular things during the year, I save up money and watch it grow and see that I'm prepared for those occurrences, like Christmas. And the cushion to my cushion's cushion. I'm one of those people Dave Ramsey would refer to when he describes his wife's need to have a saving's account for their saving's account to sleep well at night.

I've gone through enough hardship in life to know when you're sliding down plan A. without a plan B. tucked away in your back pocket you could be wearing dirty underwear for a long time; and I'm not down with that.

My back up plan is to be smart, use the brain God gave me and the will power and the decision making skills I have honed to say no as many times as it takes to reach that level of comfort again.

Something many don't think about when buying a house, it's yours to care for and the up keep is on your shoulders. It doesn't care if you weren't expecting to buy a brand new lawn mower, it requires up keep. Thankfully I won't have to buy another one for many years {I'd better not have to}. I can sleep better knowing I can go out into my yard and the grass will not be so high that you could lose your children playing out there in the bushes.

Something many don't think about, but quickly learn with their first car...things break and sometimes, {almost always} it is something you didn't plan on, something you weren't counting on when you spent your last dime. It's a sneaky way people usually get into credit debt as young adults.

The fact is we always think it won't or doesn't happen to us. Even if it has on a regular basis. I'm still adjusting to having one income and I think I'm doing OK  for it being my 2nd month.

We don't get it. In fact, even as adults we get comfortable and we think the rain fall has calmed down. You lay back in your Adirondack chair relaxing in the warm summer breeze, fall asleep and get burned good. I think this is where the parable of the virgins and the lamps comes in with real life advice for us all to heed.

Be prepared because it could come at any moment. Keep your lamps lit; be aware, life is happening when you least expect it to.

I find myself falling into grasshopper mode when I should be putting on my best ant frame of mind.

And the stories could continue with their lesson undertones. 

Comments

Popular Posts