Leave Room For Love

I'm very tired after a long conversation in the middle of the night, but I felt inspired to write and a great need to just spill this epiphany that's come over me.

What do your loved ones want for you?

I believe you can always answer this question with the same answer, they want you to be happy. Have a bright and successful future. They want you to live fulfilled, reach your potential and to feel true and everlasting love.

I want this for you, also. The love we feel for our family is on the precipice of insanity. Sometimes we love them so much that we demand better decisions out of them, maybe better people than what they truly have inside of themselves at the moment.

We can't live for others. As much as we want them to make good decisions for them, we aren't given that right. I am not God, who am I to judge what is right or best? I'm not righteous enough to sit and tell you what God is saying to you, I only can pray that you truly know the voice you are listening to is God.

How can you tell the difference? Will the choices you make give you a future with hope? Will the choices you make edify your life and the lives of those who you affect? There's always a sounding board for decisions and it's always logical, always fair and always righteous.

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

I think this is a good sounding board. Is what you are allowing a foothold in your life true, honesty, just, pure, lovely and of good report? Is it virtuous? 

You might say yes where others would say no. 

How can I help someone else make a good decision without demanding they change their mind? I can be there for them. Sometimes our only way of helping someone through their dark is by warning them of the stumbling blocks laying in wait before them. This is where you let your light shine. Sometimes they might not want to hear it. Sometimes it may hurt. Sometimes they may be hurting so much that any compassion, any love, any comfort seems right. 

When you are the most empty and searching for something to fill it up, you find something. I think the devil preys on those people the heaviest. I know in my life I have felt hunted. I've felt like I just kept being attacked whenever I tried to get back up from a fall. You keep getting kicked in the stomach. You are trying so hard to hear God, to be good, to make good decisions, to be better and in all of this it seems only like everyone sees you for who you were and holds it against you. 

How can you change when everyone believes that you can't? How can you see yourself as someone else, when everyone still sees the person you hate and want to get rid of? And it's a constant reminder. A constant reminder of your failings. A constant reminder that you'll never be anything other than your past. 

I admit I have been one of those people, I tend to believe that people don't really change. They can become more functional, they can make adjustments but whether a person has character or not is the biggest deciding factor in if their heart will ever truly be pure. If their motives will ever be irreproachable. 

A person's past is a good indication of their future, but it isn't written in stone. Otherwise what is the use of prayer? 

Feels like the weight of the world,
Like God in heaven gave me a turn.
Don't cling to me, I swear I can't fix you.
Still in the dark, can you fix me?

Freefall, freefall, all through life

If you love me, then let go of me.
I won't be held down by who I used to be.
She's nothing to me.

Feels like the weight of the world,
Like all my screaming has gone unheard.
And oh, I know you don't believe in me.
Safe in the dark, how can you see?

Freefall, freefall, all through life.

If you love me, then let go of me.
I won't be held down by who I used to be.

 -Evanescence

Love them where they are. Don't support their behavior, but support them. Believe me, there is a way to stand firm and still leave room for love. 



Comments

Liz said…
Wow...this is right where I am at right now! You can't change people and make them choose what you see as the best decision for them! Thanks for the encouraging words Julie:)

Popular Posts