Sober

A question that's been weighing on my mind lately, looking at the lives of those that have been close friends at some point, actually almost all my close friends from the past and people I know now... why did I choose not to drink?

It is socially acceptable to go out to "have a good time" by going to have drinks at a bar, or dance club, or just in the comfort of your home. Why don't I?

Is it because I think it's a waste of money?
Is it because I was raised that it was wrong?
Is it because I'm prude?
Is it because I have absolutely no desire to go in that direction and be apart of something that ruins millions of lives everyday?

I never want to be out of my mind. I never want to not have control of myself, my body, my mouth. I never want to contribute to an industry that has ruined and will continue to ruin people's lives daily, even by giving addicts something else to be addicted to. I never want to associate myself with that crowd. I want to be apart from it.

You never know how deep you can go unless you put one foot in and I refuse to. I refused to smoke pot or do drugs either. I refused to be promiscuous in my sex life. I refused to date regularly and make it a habbit to have dysfunctional relationships (although I had my share). I have refused to do alot of things in my life and I made them all for good reasons. My beliefs are strong enough to make it so it isn't a peer struggle.

I refuse to ever make a decision because it was pushed on me by my peers. Because it's what "everyone else in the room (or my life) is doing". That's just not good enough to make a life choice.

I made the decision when I was very young to seperate myself from the crowd, because usually the crowd is following itself, not God. I don't want to appear as if I fit in

Comments

Popular Posts