Training the thumb to be green

In my belief talents are trained talents. It isn't something that you just do once and are awesome at. Pretty much you have to willfully hone your skill. It's the amount of practice put in that makes the lesson learned much smoother.

When I took piano lessons, the homework was 90% of the lesson. If I did my homework, next week's lesson was that much more pleasant. It wasn't a grind. I didn't feel ashamed of myself for stumbling all over the keys (well, in all honesty sometimes I did. Because I didn't practice at all leading up to the lesson.)

I am not very "good" at gardening. It isn't because I lack the skill. It's because I lack the knowledge, the experience and the time. I love to garden, however, and I believe it is an important thing that every person should know how to do. Grow your own food.

I'm determined. I'm gritting my teeth for another growing season and I just refuse to give up. Life is not predictable, what is certain is uncertainty. And in an uncertain world I prefer to have options. A. Buy food fom the store. B. Grow your own.

If you don't have B. you are screwed.

Ok. Ok. Maybe YOU will bave C. Buy your food from Julie. hahaha.

No, I am not one of those people who are going to have this ginormous yard full of food I cannot eat (and vegetables I won't eat). I dream within reason. A small plot to hone my skills.

Among my list this year is Peas, Beans, Tomatoes, Lettuce, Strawberries (my plants are already coming back up), Blueberries, Raspberries, Blackberries and I'm thinking of Sunflowers again...they were awfully pretty. In my glut I may return home tomorrow with a few unexpected packets of seeds, sometimes I get over zealous looking at the scrumptions pictures on the seed packets and get carried away by my vision of green growing things.

I'm reading a book this year about Vegetable Gardens, (among my other random particular posts from various websites on tips and tricks).  Dirt is marvelous, more people should get into it. I should write a book titled that.

I am also determined to learn the art of canning. I have my very large book of canning recipes and how to's and I have a plan in mind. I absolutely, most definitely, will one day call myself a true canner. I don't have high aspirations to just suddenly have a pantry full of my own jams, jellies, sauces, and canned fruits and veggies... but somewhere down the road that's exactly what I plan on having. And to get there this year I have to start at the beginning. Try, try, try.

On my list of to dos is also blueberry picking! And/or travelling to farms in the area that allow you to pick their produce as well, there are a few around that have various berries, fruits, etc. :) It's the year. I feel it in my toes.

Comments

Popular Posts