Necessity

With all of this tragedy happening around the globe and everyone losing everything they have in a split second it makes you sit and think to yourself about what is really necessary to live.

I'm proud of myself, in the least that I no longer waste money on gadgets or trinkets that sit around gathering dust. I've found joy in having the basic necessities of life, like good sponges lol. I giggle a little at myself writing that, but in all honesty as a mother and a wife and just generally somebody that cleans dishes on a regular basis, that is a tool of the trade that is good to have quality.

Quality or quantity. That is what it comes down to. Would you rather spend the extra money on good things, or have more of the crappy stuff? Personally, I would rather spend my money on quality. I don't purchase furniture that is going to just need to be replaced shortly afterwards. I buy real wood that is going to last my lifetime if I take care of it, (Which I do.) I take my time to look around, find a good price, save my money and painfully part with it. lol Like, for instance, recently I finally broke down and purchased a new silverware set (A whole $16 lol, wooooo). For almost 4 years I have lived with hand me down silverware from my parents that were purchased at garage sales or thrift stores or just stuff they've collected through the years, none of it matching. I felt like I deserved to finally splurge on some matching silverware. Although it's sad when you feel guilty for spending money on something like that, because technically we didn't "need" it. But, for my sake, I felt like I could allow myself this luxury. It's nice to have your own things sometimes.

Every item in my household that we save for and purchase, you feel a little bit of an accomplishment. Because I honestly plan on having every piece of that furniture for years to come, so I know I've spent my money well. I have the same bedroom set I've had since I was 20 and I never plan on getting rid of it. I don't believe in "fads" or tastes that come and go... you know who I'm talking about, you probably had at least one relative that had that chicken phase in their kitchen... ugh. Terrible. I'm sorry if you ever were into that "style".

It is definitely coming down to finding satisfaction in the simplest forms in life. Even if it's enjoying your own dirt as you garden. Or enjoying a simple process (but seemingly technical as I'm reading the canning recipes in my new book) of preserving, an old art. I think God smiles down on us when we enjoy ourselves and find pride in taking care of the things He has blessed us with. I am trying my best to bestow this attitude in my child. I'm very stringent on the rules of how he is allowed to treat his toys and teaching him how to take care of things like, our vehicles... or even our dishes. We treat our things with respect because they were gifts from God.

When you are faithful with small amounts He will trust you with more. And one of these days the "more", hopefully, will be my own house... a big family... and a nice large savings account and retirement fund... and a big ol' family vacation! lol To list a few...

Comments

Anonymous said…
ok, in my defense, I have been saving for 10 years to have all my "chicken" things to redo my kitchen, lol. I have wanted a chicken kitchen for 15 years. But then of course, I have had real chickens for mmmmm, over 15 years. But that is just me....
respectfully
Glo

Popular Posts