30 weeks and counting

So, exiting my 30th week of pregnancy and I'm learning even before this one is out of the womb that it is going to be interesting learning how to balance a 3 year old and a newborn. It isn't that Ryley is difficult, it's that everyday he's becoming more and more his own person and sometimes I forget to weigh that in. He has a mind and a will of his own and things sometimes affect him and I forget to think about that in the moment and remind myself to be more patient with him.

Example: 3rd Year photo session. He was super excited to get his pictures taken until he (hindsight) met the woman who was going to take the pictures. He went into his shell and wouldn't cooperate for any amount of bribing (strawberry shakes, either!) He kept whining, or hiding his face, or just flopping around when he was "asked" to pose. (He likes to make his own poses, btw.) We, of course, got frustrated with him because we felt like we were wasting her time... we got a few good pictures, but over all it was quite a frustrating experience. Later on that evening when we were getting ready for bed I was talking to Ryley about it and quietly informed me that "He didn't like that lady". I had one of those "AHA!" moments. He is a little person and sometimes his personality will not coincide with the personality of other people, sometimes people will irritate him! This might seem like something that is a "duh", but after years of him growing into a personality it's taking some getting used to.

(OMG, just wrote a super long blog and it didn't save it all...)

Whew! Parenting is a challenge, humans are complex. You think it's difficult dealing with babies because they don't know how to talk, but when they learn to talk it isn't any easier because they still don't know how to express what's wrong; or they don't know what is wrong to express it. So, my new motto is to assume the best and be extra patient.

And this one is already frustrating me and she's not even out of the womb. Naturally, I know she has no say in how she affects my body at this point so I really can't logically blame her, lol. But sometimes I do anyways. :)

Some nights when we're cuddling before we go to bed Ryley will talk to the baby (My stomach), or blow raspberries on it, or try to "eat the baby" while giggling uncontrollably. One of these days I will get a picture of him with my stomach, because that would just be priceless. And sometimes he even asks me if the "Baby is ready to come out yet?" I cannot wait to watch him take that role of "big brother", because he will be fantastic!

Comments

Popular Posts