Kill With Kindness

I have found a healthy balance of telling the truth and keeping my mouth closed. A valuable life lesson learned the hard way.

I've also found a healthy balance in friendship. Ups and downs. Moments of betrayals.

Sometimes you can call people out on their bull, sometimes you can only keep your mouth closed long enough to find a quiet place to say things to yourself. (Mostly because under your breath rarely is as secretive as you wish it had been).

And gossip is never as safe as you think either. Although sometimes the word gossip seems like a much harsher word than you want to use. You don't always mean things you say in a negative light, but they can easily be repeated in one and you'll never get the opportunity to right it because people rarely confront the person where the "gossip" came from. They just keep it inside, hold it against the person, and never trust them again... or if they're very vindictive, look for any and every opportunity to get them back.

Old news.

But really, sometimes the word gossip is a harsh term. Makes me wonder what the dictionary definition is...

(Pause while I look it up.)

Well, dictionary.com says it basically means "to tattle". So, underlining definition would be almost an attitude? The heart behind the words, eh?

But, as human beings, is it our responsibility to be a door mat? Should we just keep our mouths closed when people that supposedly care about us continue to treat us disrespectfully? I consider myself fair and a pretty patient person, but there's only so much I can let slide. There does come a point where I feel the need to stand up for myself. Maybe people aren't always fully aware of how hurtful the things they say can be, though you shouldn't have to go around constantly telling people that mocking you or the things you like is disrespectful. That's the kind of thing that should be common sense.

But when I finish yelling at the computer screen, I breathe out. And when I finish counting to ten in my head in person, I breathe out. I think of something positive and try to release the negatives. Then I try to have a laugh. Because laughter heals the soul.

And I talk it out. It helps. It doesn't make the situations any less annoying to have to deal with, but it helps to move on without blowing up in someone's face. Anger control, in so many words.

And it helps to know that everyone deals with these things, everyday. And more than once I'm sure they've had to deal with me in that way. Because I'm human too.

Comments

Popular Posts