Family Activities

I've been thinking of making a list and maybe you can help me add to this list....I will re-post when I update this list with more information, etc. This year I've started wanting to do one thing each week with Ryley that is kind of like an excursion. Something fun, hopefully somewhat educational also. I also tend to lean toward inexpensive options, also. So that's something to think about, if you have any ideas to add. And as you will notice, I'm a fan of the not so ordinary adventure's!




Things To Do For Families in Branson/Springfield:


1. Discovery Center - Springfield, MO

$9.00 adult $7.00 child, Children 2 and under free

http://www.discoverycenter.org/

This place is awesome, they have a room especially for 5 and under with dress up clothes and a giant house you can build with giant legos! It also has two different "tractor" like things where you can sit and scoop up recycled tire bits, like digging. And different musical instruments, etc. It's very cool. One of Ryley's favorites was the science part of the building, Abby's favorite part was the miniature grocery story where you could be a shopper, a clerk, or a sales person!



2. Butterfly Palace - Branson, MO

$5.00 adult for locals, Children 2 and under free

http://www.thebutterlypalace.com/

This was pretty neat, although I think that it's more suited to older kids, Ryley did like it. You can go into a room filled with loose butterflies, you can dress up as an explorer and use a microscope to look at the butterflies. There's also a rain forest maze and a rain forest area where they have frogs, turtles, and huge lizards you can look at. Very neat.



3. Aquaplex - Branson, MO

$6.00 adult, $2.00 spectator (Someone who does NOT get in the water,) 2 and under free

http://www.bransonparksandrecreation.com/

This is one of Ryley and my's favorite places to go on a hot summer day. Perfect for young and old, you can just relax in the shallow water end with your young children where they have a perfect play area designed just for small children in shallow water, a slide, water sprinklers and a big water play area.



4. JumpMania - Springfield, MO

$5.00/hr per kid (Certain days and exclusions apply)

http://www.jumpmaniaspringfield.com/

I haven't yet been here, but it is on my to do list. When I do visit I will post my experience! From what I read, it is an inflatable jump center for kids of all ages, they do have an area specifically for younger toddlers which is really nice.



5. Dickerson Park Zoo - Springfield, MO

$

http://www.dickersonparkzoo.org/

Always a staple is the zoo in any town. Great feature of this zoo is that you get to actually feed the giraffes by hand. They also have a great play ground area in the zoo where you can eat and relax while your kids blow off steam.



6. American Fish and Wildlife Museum - Springfield, MO

$

http://www.wondersofwildlife.org/

I have yet to do this with Ryley, also. But from what I hear, kids love it. Will update!



7. Dinosaur Museum - Branson, MO

$9.95 adult Children 3 and under free

http://www.dinowalk.com/mo/index.html

Yet to visit, but on my list! Ryley loves dinosaurs and so I believe this would be a big hit. Yet to find out about local pricing, will update. There is a button to click for a $1 off coupon on a youth admission with the price of an adult, but I'm sure they have a local rate and I will be calling to find out what that is.



8. Branson Scenic Railway - Branson, MO

$24.95 adult (13 & up), Children 2 and under free when not occupying a seat

http://www.bransontrain.com/

Yet to visit, but it is on my list. I might save this one for the winter when they do a version of The Polar Express, they show the movie and kids dress up in their pajamas for the ride. This is one of the more pricey things on my list, but you can't get away from the fact that it's a real train ride! I have yet to get ahold of anyone for local pricing, however. So I will update this.



9. Fish Hatchery - Branson, MO

$ Free

http://mdc.mo.gov/regions/southwest/shepherd-hills-fish-hatchery

Have yet to do, but on my list. Believe it or not, I've read this is one of the most popular tourist sites!



10. Ozark Empire Fair - Springfield, MO

$

http://www.ozarkempirefair.com/

No one can resist the fair grounds. I love going at night, especially (Although I may not love it so much with a kid, I like daylight where I can see where my kid is at all times). Rides, petting zoos, cotton candy, and the general fun atmosphere of it all. This is definitely on my to do list!



11. Rutledge-Wilson Farm Park - Springfield, MO

$ Free

http://www.parkboard.org/info/city_parks/rutledge_wilson/index.html

This place continues to be one of Ryley and my absolute favorite free places to visit. He has such a blast. Partially because it's a miniature working farm where you can see and pet the animals (Goats, chickens, sheep, cows, miniature horses, ducks, turkeys, etc), and partially because there's a huge barn-like play ground next to it. It also has corn mazes and pumpkin patches in the fall-time. I believe they also do hay rides in the fall and in the winter sleigh rides. Very cool.



12. Yakov's Moscow Circus Show - Branson, MO

$

http://moscowcircus.yakov.com/schedule/

We went to this show when we had been given some free tickets and it was SO worth it. Ryley absolutely LOVED the show, it was bright, full of fun (especially the clown acts in between everything), and so musical! One of the few attractions that kept Ryleys attention almost entirely. I'm not sure about local pricing, I will update this when I find out.

13. The Legend of Kung Fu Show - Branson, MO
 
$12 including tax local , July 2010 for those who work in the tourism industry can get themselves and their immediate family or one guest in for free with a check stub. ONLY for the month of July 
 
http://www.kungfubranson.com/
 
Have yet to see this, but will be seeing it shortly! As the month of July is running out. lol

14. Springfield Nature Center - Springfield, MO
    
$ Free

www.

4600 S. Chrisman Ave, (417-888-4237). Open all year from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. each day, 8:00 am-9:00 p.m., March-October, it's a beautiful scenic place for a family hike. Choose from 3 miles of hiking trails, or enjoy a nature exhibit indoors. Free conservation educational activities are available for all ages, and you can purchase hunting and fishing permits here too. Also, the nature-related gift shop and free conservation brochures are on hand. Have yet to do this, on the list!
 
15. The Gray/Campbell Farmstead - Springfield, MO

$ Free


The Gray/Campbell Farmstead at Nathaniel Green Park, 2400 S. Scenic, is open April-September, weakens only from 1:00 p.m.- 4: 30 p.m.. Once the home of John Polk Campbell, nephew and namesake of the founder of Springfield, MO. Costumed guides will take you through this exciting journey through time on this farmstead where you'll see the 1856 house, detached log kitchen, log granary, two crib barns, and the family cemetery. History buffs will love it! Probably more suited to older children, but will be on my list for the future!
 
 
I will re-post wth updates. Also interested in making a list of cheap date night ideas. Feel free to post comments leaving suggestions!

Comments

Popular Posts