Night Troubles

It is amazing how stubborn a child can be. Maybe my parenting style doesn't work for his type of stubborn? I'm at my witts end some nights trying to get my child to stay in his own bed. We've been on this subject for over a year now. He's had his own bedroom for that long with his own big boy bed. Last summer for the most part he went to sleep in his bedroom without a fuss after I took the time and energy to be consistent for several weeks in a row. Then it started getting cold and old habits started because it was too freezing for him to sleep by himself (we were trying to save propane). So, now that winter is almost over we've been trying for the last month or so to have atleast go to sleep in his own bed even if he ends up in our bed in the end.

You know what my big problem is? In the middle of the night when he comes to crawl into our bed I am not conscious enough to get up and be like, "Go back to your own bed". At some conscious level I understand he's getting in our bed, but apparently it's not the one that causes an action to happen lol. I'm still asleep! I wish I could wake up and put him back in his bed, but when I'm asleep... I'm asleep lol.

So, tonight has been one of the aggravating ones. He keeps getting out of bed and then he keeps getting spanked, then put back. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. And I'm getting sick of the repeat part.

At what point, if any, does a child actually start obeying you? I would have to say I'm pretty consistent in making him do something when he's told to do it. And somedays I see the effect and others it seems like I have the most disobedient child ever! And I feel like crying out, WOE IS ME!

I know, you say he's only 2 years old. To be patient with him! He'll learn, eventually. But eventually is not now! lol And I want him to learn...now. I would like to enjoy one full nights sleep again in my lifetime. I'd liek to be able to wake up and feel refreshed. And feel like I wasn't crunched into a little corner of my bed all night long with somebody else's skull pushing up against mine competing for pillow space. I know eventually I will probably have a concave skull from the pressure. lol The ultimate pillow fight!

And I'm sure I'm not the only one sometimes that just can't help but laugh at the child crying in sobs. Because it seems so ridiculous that hours after being put to bed, it's still a horrific tragedy to have to sleep in your own bed. Even though it's a super cool big boy bed.

But I know it can be scary. I'm trying to be patient and just go at his speed, because I know it's a large transition to leap from having that warmth and security of your parents right next to you to being all alone in a big room full of darkness.

God give me the strength!

Comments

Popular Posts