Frugal Ideas # 1

So, I've decided to write down a few of my frugal ideas that I've incorporated into my lifestyle. Just in case they might help any of you!

1. Save on Electric Bills by unplugging anything and everything that isn't in use at the moment, plugging it in when you want to use it. I realize this could become difficult, mostly because I have some very hard to reach outlets because they're on the floor and many are covered by furniture. Which is why this idea is saddled with an extra ... "Use power strips often and wide through-out the house!" That way all you have to do is just click it off to save yourself tons of money! When I incorporated this into my household in two months I saved over $25 and reached my lowest electric bill of $54.

2. Save on Hair Cuts by cutting you and your families own hair! It takes moments to learn how to use your very own personal hair cutting kit and it saves you hundreds of dollars annually. In this economy it just doesn't make sense to spend hundreds of dollars cutting or even dying your hair in a salon when you could save so much by just taking the time to do it yourself. You may have a few trial and errors, but believe me in the end it is so worth it. I purchased my hair cutting kit at a local TJMaxx for $15, the one before that at Target for $20 and that is the only hair expense we've had in two years for our entire family (Besides the occasional $6 in hair dye I spend on myself, no grey roots!).

3. Save on Garbage by making use of a compost pile for kitchen and yard trash (which can be used in frugal idea #4) and paper/cardboard/plastic/glass products by recycling. There are local areas in probably every town that you can recycle things for free! And if you pay for your garbage to be taken away this can save you tons of money by reducing the amount of garbage you have to pay to be taken away. Even your local Wal-Mart store will take things like plastic bags off your hands for free! The plus to this is you're helping keep trash out of the humongo dumps around our beautiful country!

4. Save on Groceries by making your own garden, even a small one will reduce your grocery bill by hundreds of dollars (especially with produce prices soaring). AND/OR find a local farmer's market or local Farm/Orchard where you can pick your own produce for pennies on the dollar via Pick Your Own. (See Frugal idea #5, 6, 7 for continuations of this idea).

5. Save on Groceries by buying certain items in bulk at your local Sams Club or Costco, etc. I buy my bags of All Purpose flour $6 25 lb bag, Bread Flour $6 25 lb bag, Sugar 10 lb bag, even my eggs 3 dozen $4.38 at Sams Club and pay way under what you would at your local grocery store.

6. Save on Groceries by eliminating unneeded items that aren't even healthy for you like snack foods: chips, soda, cookies, candies, etc. By eliminating these you also automatically make yourself and your family healthier which in turn will save you money on things like Doctor bill (because you'll be healthier and have stronger immune systems), Dentist bil (because you will have far fewer cavities), less complications from a high sugar diet! Also, if you can't live without these items see Frugal idea #7.

7. Save on Groceries by #5 Buying in Bulk and making your own #6 Snack Foods! I bake everything almost entirely fresh. We don't buy bread, we don't buy cookies or cake or brownies. If we have a craving I simply whip up a batch! It takes more time, but more time also allows for less impulse eating. Which is probably better. We eat less because we have less readily available to eat.

8. Save on diapers in the longrun by using cloth diapers! And to add to that, save on cloth diapers by simply buying used or buying off ebay like I did! I bought 20 one size pocket + 20 inserts for $85 w/free shipping. This may seem like alot of money, but in the long run you will save hundreds of dollars. I hated spending hundreds of dollars on something that was just going to end up in the trash, now I don't have to!

These are a few things...there will be a sequel. My computer is being obstinate!

Comments

Mom2fur said…
I've been thinking about joining the local Costco again. I'd done it years ago when the four kids were all still at home. But I think it would be worth it again just for what I'd save on basics like eggs and flour. Worth taking a look, I think!
PS--I love your Dr. Seuss quote.
annies home said…
what great tips another one that I love is meal planning

Popular Posts