My day, What a day!

So, I woke up earlier than I have in weeks, 9 am. (Yes, I know this makes me sound terribly lazy. But my child has somehow developed a case of "displaced bedtime" and refuses to go to bed before midnight most nights, therefore sleeping until 10 or 11 am somedays. So I oblige to catch up on my missed sleep as well.) I cleaned my kitchen, I cleaned out my car, I picked out Ryley's outfit, Stocked and Packed the diaper bag, Woke Ryley up and picked up my Dad for a day of endless fun! (Not exactly how it turned out, but I had very high hopes.)

Turns out being in a car for almost 8 hours straight is not so much fun. I was happy that I got almost everything I went there for. Although I have to say I was very disappointed with the thrift stores I went to in Springfield. I only had time to go to Goodwill and Salvation Army and they have a skewed idea about how much one should charge for used not in such great shape items that other people donate. One mirror with some wood for a frame was priced at a whopping $75. And while walking out I witnessed a woman paying $9 for a pair of small size 3 used children's shoes! I wanted to shake her and be like "Lady! I buy most of my pairs $5 and under for brand new! WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?" But I guess it's a good cause to over-spend on?

I didn't think the little thrift shopping nooks we had here in town would be the best in the area, but atleast they're realistic (so to speak) and are willing to bargain with you on the price. There was a big sign posted in Salvation Army that said "No tag sales. No Price Negotiations." I was like, This isn't a thrift store, this is a used retail store and it stinks!

But.... I found a really pretty wooden bread box and happily took my Dad's old people discount to make it $9. Not a huge bargain, but not a bad one either. I have been wanting one of these things for quite a while and I was glad that this didn't have some ugly flowers painted on it or something. Just plain beautiful wood which I promptly cleaned when I got home with some wood soap.

I was extremely happy with my craigslist buys:

1. $15 Train Table! For the train we bought Ryley for christmas (but couldn't find a train table anywhere for), these things retail at $80 and it came with alot of extra pieces, also.

2. $50 Stair Stepper! Brand New, but wait there's more, Compact and foldable! I was wanting to get a gym membership, but they're way too expensive for our budget so this is my compromise. I used to use the stair machines all the time at my gym (when I worked out) and this is alot easier on knees than the treadmill I had been considering, plus safer for children. So, I'm super excited to try this out and maybe start returning to a previous pre-baby-figure???

3. $8 Aquadoodle! Ryley loves to color, but unfortunately he loves to color on furniture, walls, basically anywhere he can tote a crayon/pen/pencil/marker. This scares the bejesus out of me so this is a great way for him to create his beautiful creations without having to have constant supervision all the time during his art projects. :) Score! This huge pad comes with all kinds of stamps and rollers and even a pen, you fill it up with water and it colors just like markers! Plus, wherever you hit on the pad it makes music and sounds.

So, I must admit I'm a little thrifted out and disappointed that I haven't been able to find a decent inexpensive dresser anywhere! I guess I'll just wait until garage sale season gets here and be patient and keep my eyes open whenever I find time again to poke my head into the local thrift shops...

Comments

Popular Posts